Little Rock, Arkansas – The 3rd dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is surely becoming a reality despite the fact the World Health Organizations said in multiple occasions that two doses should be enough for every person, at least until no further tests are made on a 3rd dose.
Starting Monday, August 16, The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences will offer a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to its moderately and severely immunocompromised patients.
However, not everyone can get the 3rd dose as the Federal Drug Administration in an announcement said that only patients who received the two-shot Pfizer or Moderna vaccines and who meet the definition of moderately or severely immunocompromised are eligible for a third dose. They also added that everyone who will receive the third dose, it should be the same vaccine as the previous two doses.
UAMS announced that appointments should be made upfront for those interested to get the booster dose.
UAMS patients eligible for a COVID booster include:
- Those in active treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
- Transplant patients who are taking immunosuppressive therapy
- Those who have received CAR-T cell therapy or a stem cell transplant (within two years of transplantation or still taking immunosuppressive therapy)
- Those with advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Those undergoing active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids and other pharmaceuticals that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory
UAMS added that everyone should contact their physician to check with them if they are eligible for the vaccine. Once confirmed, they should schedule an appointment for the third dose of the vaccine.
Local News1 week ago
M2.2 earthquake reported overnight in White County
Local News3 days ago
Steve Martin and Martin Short cancel Arkansas comedy show
Local News2 weeks ago
18-wheeler fire on Interstate-440
Local News6 days ago
Root Cafe in Breckenridge Village soon
Arkansas2 weeks ago
Active COVID-19 cases in Arkansas see continued decline
Arkansas1 week ago
Arkansas police arrest 22 people for alleged drug operation
Arkansas2 weeks ago
LIHEAP application submission period begins
Crime & Safety2 weeks ago
Man arrested after stealing liquor bottles from Little Rock restaurant